Fleet operations are crucial for the economy, responsible for delivering a majority of resources that we consume. However, quick and easy access to these resources often comes at a price as fleet drivers operate in hazardous conditions, putting their safety at risk. With the commercial fleet accident rate in the US standing around 20%, and data from the NHTSA suggesting that almost 11% of all road accidents include fleet vehicle of some sort, it is undeniable that fleet operations need to scale up driver safety noticeably.
Helping managers operate fleets in a way that’s efficient, productive and ensures both driver as well as vehicle safety is a key aspect of fleet service providers’ job. While fragmented solutions have worked in the past, it is the new-age technologies and real-time connected vehicle data that’ll take these services to the next level, starting now.
We look at 3 ways how mobility and telematics data brilliantly solves the safety issue in fleets.
Tracking Driver Behavior
With real-time data and its analysis, fleet service providers enable fleet managers to monitor metrics such as speed, acceleration and braking, swerving, mobile usage and other risky driving habits that can jeopardize the safety of driver and other motorists on the road. This includes observing if the drivers are operating vehicles under fatigue, which is the case almost 50% of the time.
Besides making fleet operations safer, managers can also use this information to:
- Identify areas of improvement and provide coaching
- Reduce excess wear and tear of vehicles
- Enhance fuel efficiency and performance
- Minimize overall fleet expenses
Tracking Fleet Location
Insights generated from location tracking gives managers visibility into real-time whereabouts of the vehicles at any point, useful in sending medical and emergency support without delays. Location tracing also assists with keeping both the vehicle along with its contents secure, in case of a stealing attempt, and reduce chances of damage.
By tracking fleets in real-time, managers can:
- Communicate timely changes in route, delivery times and destination
- Know where vehicle and driver are at any time
- Provide customers with accurate ETAs
- Recover lost or stolen vehicles/cargo
- Keep drivers on schedule
Tracking Vehicle Health
Neglecting timely care and maintenance is one of the major reasons for vehicle breakdowns and safety hazards. Very often it is the minor faults which, when diagnosed, could prevent accidents and hassles. Using real-time data, fleet service providers could proactively send fleet managers maintenance reminders and service alerts to better manage their vehicles while actively improving driver safety. Data could also help prioritize which vehicles require maintenance before others, based on workloads, to keep the business moving
Tracking vehicle health can help:
- Reduce risk of breakdowns and vehicle failure
- Ensure driver safety with early warnings and alerts
- Prevent poor vehicle performance
- Lead to high fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and a sustainable form of transportation
Going beyond Safety
There are no doubts that data curated from connected vehicles is capable of keeping both drivers and vehicles out of harm’s way. Its mindful analysis further allows fleet service providers to innovate smart solutions that:
- Prevent mishaps considerably – by tracking vehicle parameters, such as tyre pressure, brake lining wear, brake fluid, coolant and washer fluid, and alerting drivers.
- Reduce unnecessary time spent by drivers on the roads – by utilizing the assets in the best possible way, cutting down costs and making working conditions safer.
- Respond quickly to emergency situations – by acting promptly with relevant information.
- Avoid fines and traffic violations – by identifying violating driving trends, offering training and incentivising drivers based on performance scorecards.
- Maintain business reputation – by minimizing accident tolls, making faster and safer deliveries while ensuring business growth, to generate positive word-of-mouth.
Initiate Safe Fleet operations with CerebrumX
CerebrumX is your solution to unlocking aforementioned benefits for effective and safe management of fleets using the industry’s first Augmented Deep Learning Platform (ADLP). We provide easy interpretation of connected vehicle data to assist fleet service providers, managers and drivers make safe and sustainable business decisions.
Through our white label consent management system, CerebrumX Secure Consent, we ensure the highest level of privacy, security, and transparency of automotive data, to aid business innovation.